About Posts Wishlist Escapes Videos Instagram traveldiary



당신의 부드러운 미소;

안녕하세요~


JOEY NG XIANGTING

1995선
Polkadots and Floral prints are th' love.
//ELF//dancer//dreamer//kpress//travel//
paperboo@hotmail.com

Kpress Singapore
Instagram: @yourgentlesmile
Youtube: @yourgentlesmile




Best viewed in Mozilla and Google Chrome



My Dance Journey- Latin American Ballroom

Dancing is in my life since I was in P5.
Involved in different genres of dance, I literally dance everyday. 
I'm in TPDE Modern & Hiphop genres, in DeS doing Kpop dances and competing in competitive Latin American Ballroom dances. 

Latin American Ballroom dances consists of 10 dances, we sometimes call it dance sports too. 
Latin side with ChaChaCha, Rumba, Samba, Paso Doble & Jive 
While the ballroom side with Quickstep, Waltz, Vietnamese Waltz, Tango & Foxtrot. 
Salsa is NOT under Latin American Ballroom. 
Thank you. 
If you've watched Dancing with the stars, yes those dances. 

Sorry LQ Picture


I started when I was in P5, if I didn't remember wrongly, Latin dances at Chong Pang CC. 
We went to this open house and the kids there were performing the Latin dances and my mom sign up for me and my brother for classes. 
It was under Teacher Eileen, and the kids there were kids. 
I was just 11 and I was one of the oldest. 
Oh well.
The pace at the CC lessons were so slow. 
Like seriously, with four classes you can't even finish like half a dance omg. 
And I remember there was once where some publisher came to the class and our whole class was used for the photo shoot and in the end only the youngest couple was featured. 
Oh wow. 
So the pace was really slow and its either I asked my mom to pull out or she pulled us out of the class. 

And I went to this other CC to learn instead. 
What to do with my parents (my mom mainly) and their obsessions with CCs. 
I went to the Sengkang one, this time was under Jonathan. 
And my brother and I were the youngest couple in this CC classes. 
We learnt more of social dances in this CC. 
Some social dances are Obit Chacha, Rock&Roll, etc. 
And the teacher recommended us to go to his studio to learn actual latin dances instead. 
And so we went.
I guess I started there since I was in ending P5/ starting P6, but I did stop awhile for my PSLE. 
And I returned to J&P after my psle and we did ChaCha, Rumba & Jive mainly. 
I've wanted to learn the Samba then, but I have no idea why they aren't teaching us the samba. 
And at the studio, when lessons start, we'll spend around 30-45mins doing body isolation and walks before getting into the choreographs. 
I don't remember having a partner then because the height difference between me and my brother is too much. 
So all I do in class is dancing by myself. 
Lmao, a bit pathetic but usually there's more girls than guys in Latin dancing. 
The after classes were really fun as my parents will have private lessons in the studio, and me and my siblings will just get food from the 7-11 downstairs and then get back up to the studio and eat. 
And after that we'll play catching (AHAHAHAHAHAH OMG) around the buildings with the teacher's children, Germaine and Jaslyn and sometimes other people too but I forgot. 
It was really fun because all the shops were closed on the studio floor so we'll just run around making noises. ㅋㅋ

Major events were J&P's dinner and dance, where we will put up a performance for. 
I remember during my first D&D I know nothing about make up and costumes.  
So I literally just went to perform with basic make up and basic clothes. 
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW DID I DO THAT. 
At that time, only my brother and his partner went for latin competitions, not the rest of the class, who are mainly solos. 
Thus my parents talked to the teachers and suggested that letting us (the soloists) to go and compete. 
And we went. 
I guess my first competition was when I was in secondary 2. 
Where again, I know nothing about competitions. 
I just wore a costume gotten from bkk i think, and Its more of a dress than a costume. 
Sighs.
And I forgot how many events I entered but I knew we didn't know how the whole competition goes. 
So when its my event, I wasn't ready at the competitors area. 
The MCs had to call our numbers and inform us that its our event. 
And I just went into the dance floor by anywhere. 
Lmao maybe I shouldn't do that. ㅠㅠ
And I didn't went into the finals, I went into the toilet and cried. 
LOL I'M SERIOUS. 
I forgotten the reason why we left the studio but we did. 

We went to Wanna Rock & Roll Studios next. 
I think I was in sec 3. 
Technically speaking, back to the Studio since Teacher Eileen is from there too, but now we're going to have classes in the studio which will be taught by Teacher Andre. 
I still remember how my parents were so angry because my mom wanted to consult Teacher Andre but he just walked pass her. Whut. 
Anyways, so we went to the studio for lessons. 
And guess what, I'm with the kids again. 
I was the oldest in the class. What is this.... 



Kids in the studio

Its because I do not know their choreography and the class is starting to learn samba's chereo. 
So it was my favorite dance then so yay. 
I went for their internal competition with my girl partner because as I said there's much more girls than guys.
Lovely Shane you reading? ㅋㅋ 
And like I was secretly judging this girl with a bag with a Kyuhyun badge which I don't know then.
Charmaine that's you. AHAHAHAHHA 

And after the first internal competition, we took up private lessons to learn all the other dances choreo (Chacha Rumba and Jive). 
My brother partnered my sister at this time so I went for national competitions as a soloist. Again. 
I'm not sure whether did I've got any placing or did not even get into the finals.
Then we joined our first chingay, in chicken suits. AHAHAHHAAHHA.
Judging you Karenly because I forgot what happened. oops. 
I've no idea how we've gotten close tgt with Sherianne, I forgot.



Karen-ly




Blur-est picture of us yet AHAHAH Sherlyane & Sherianne

And after chingay was this Malaysia Competition where the most of the students are going. 
And my parents wanted to go too so we went. Oh wow. 
I remember pulling Karen to go with us and then telling her that we're still considering AHAHAHHA. 
Oh memories. 
Before we went, I was supposed to only do Solo events but Aunty Diane asked me to go girl/girl events with Charlene and we did. 



My two lovely ex-partners Charlene & Shane <3


We only had 3 private lessons and 1/2 practices before we head to Malaysia. 
I think we damn zai. AHAHAH
I've not much hope on my solo events but I've more on the girl/girl events as compared to my solos because the Malaysian soloists are really strong. 
A bit siao. 
But then again, the soloists are the same as me and Charlene where they partnered up with each other for girl/girl events. 
What... Is... This... 
In short, all the competitors are really strong and in the first competition, I didn't even get into the semi-finals for my solo events and the finals for the girl/girl events. 
For the second competition, I didn't get into the semis for my solo events again but we got into the finals for the girl/girl events. 
We literally died after dancing because its ChaCha and Jive and we both are not good in Jive. 
And we hate Jive because its sooooooo tiring. 

And we're up against the younger girls in our studio as well as the Malaysian couples. zzz
When the results are announced, we're waiting for our names and number to be called and kept wondering if its the correct event. 
Usually the last few placings will be announced first, so we kept thinking if its the wrong event because we didn't think of getting any good placings. 
But in the end, we got third. 
Yoohoo. 
Third in three private lessons. 
We're just laughing to each other after we got off the stage lmao what is this. 
And so its a great start and we went for more girl/girl events and Ladies events in Singapore. 
If we're good in luck, we'll get champions, if we're not, we'll get second. 

After a while, my mom wanted me to go for Junior under 16 events with my brother and we went. 
I've stopped my solo events by then as I was having two partnerships, one with Jasper and one with Charlene.
The first Junior competition, I think we got 5th? Or 4th. 
As time goes by, we went to Novice events. 
I swear Junior events are harder to win than Novice events. 
We got 3rd for our first Novice event and we started to go for novice/ novice rising stars events instead. 
It was the best for me at that time because I was doing really well in both partnerships. 
In most of our competitions in 2011-2012 both partnerships will either be the champions of the event/s or top 3. 




But Charlene that burden had to study for her Os so we ended our partnership for our events. 
So I concentrated in competing with Jasper in Novice & Junior events. 
But my parents do not like us doing the same choreography with the much younger kids. 
And we've been doing the same choreography for... 
Lets see 3/3.5 years. 
My mom pulled us out even though we aren't happy at first. 
But what can I do to my mom. 

We went to learn under Andrey who's a Russian. 
We finished 3/4 of our chacha choreography in one lesson.
The fastest we've ever gone. 
Wow. 
And under him, we went for our first competition even though we're not ready. 
But my mom said 'later you two lose the competition feel.' 
Lmao my mom for you. 
And we got really bad placings. 
We didn't get into Pre-am finals and we got 5th for our novice event. 
And we slowly had improvement in our placings as more competitions came along. 
And we started 2014 with overall champions in Novice/Pre-am events in Champions. 
That was our first competition with all 5 dances. 
Chacha rumba samba jive paso.
I almost died after paso. ㅠㅠ 
And when they said they want a rerun of the event (chacha rumba and jive), I wanted to kill the organizers. 
But they didn't so I didn't. ㅋㅋ 
And our next competition will be in end June, till then, we'll be practicing every week.


Add caption


ps. I initially wanted to write everything about my dance journey with other genres but I think its too long and I'm too long winded. Oops.

xoxo;
Joey



Labels: ,